We are hiring!
We are looking for an experienced Sewer/Seamstress/Tailor to join our small team at Luckyhorse where we clean, waterproof, and repair horse blankets for horse owners all over Virginia. Our busy season is primarily April through November, though we do accept blankets year round. Our shop is located in Chesterfield, Virginia.
We are seeking someone to help fulfill our mission in keeping our client’s horse blankets safe and effective through repairs. Repairs entail patches, tear repairs, replacing hardware, and making new straps for the blankets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
You are the ideal candidate if you have sewing experience, are comfortable learning to use two new industrial sewing machines, are a creative problem solver, a dedicated team member, and value high quality work. It is important that you understand the balance between efficiency and quality as we mend around 1,000 to 2,000 blankets per year. You must thrive in a small team environment where each person plays a critical and unique role. You must be self motivated and work well independently.
- Ability to work a flexible part time schedule based upon store and business needs, from 15 to 20 hours per week between April and November. Hours from December to March could be as little as 5 to 10.
- Use Luckyhorse provided sewing machines and supplies to perform repairs.
- Ensure machines are in good working order.
- Measure and mark for patches and replacement straps.
- Remove stitches from blanket, using ripper or razor blade.
- Resew blanket using sewing machines.
- Repair defective blankets using the most efficient means.
- Record all work and notate on service request forms for tracking and billing.
- Uphold specified productivity guidelines, generally 12 individual repairs per hour, 5-12 blankets per hour.
- Maintain a clean, organized and stocked work area and inform the manager when additional supplies are needed.
- Perform quality repairs on blankets, primarily patches, liner repairs, new straps and hardware.
- Follow ticket instructions based on client requests and required repairs.
- Accommodate clients and team members with on the spot repair advice when requested by clients or team members.
- Meet deadlines and client expectations for blanket repairs.
- Cleaning duties for work area as required.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Proven sewing experience of any kind.
- Sound knowledge of various fabrics and sewing techniques.
- Ability to work under time constraints.
- Ability to safely use different types of sewing machines.
- Ability and knowledge to troubleshoot machine issues (change needles, identify tension problems).
- Effective communication skills.
- Experience with horses is not necessary.
Luckyhorse is a small Woman and Veteran owned business with less than five employees. We service around 90 barns in Virginia and have around 1,500 to 2,000 clients a year. We clean and repair just about 3,000 blankets each year and add more each season.
We value the importance of diversity, quality of life, fair pay, and a team atmosphere. We make every effort to run our business in a way that best supports these values. We are always growing and learning better ways to be responsible community members.
- We offer paid holidays for all government recognized holidays from May to October.
- Flexible schedule (evenings/mornings/weekends) within the required hours per week and as needed.
- If you are a horse blanket owner, you will receive significant discounts on any laundering, waterproofing, and repairs needed to keep your blankets in top shape.
Pay will start at $18.00 per hour
If you believe you could be a great candidate, email the following to email@example.com.
- Cover letter describing why you want to work here and your sewing experience
- Availability (desired work days/time frames)
- 2 References
- Photos showing sewing projects and experience